Sunday, June 2, 2013

Navy Air Force Half Marathon

I recently signed up to run a half marathon (13.1 miles) in the Navy Air Force Half Marathon and 5 Miler on Saturday, September 14th.  It will be interesting because I have never ran further than 3 miles continuously in my life at one time.  Signing up for this gives me a goal to work towards.  The route can be seen here.  It starts in front of the Washington Monument on the National Mall, goes down to and around Hains Point, up to a park by the US Naval Observatory, and back to the starting line in front of the Washington Monument.

On advice from counsel, I went to Pacers in Old Town Alexandria to get quality running shoes and racing socks.  I was recommended by counsel to Asics brand running shoes.  When I walked into Pacers only salespeople where present talking to one another.  I found the best salesperson to be my salesperson.  Then we went to work.  First we had to determine what type of supportive shoe I would need.  So I put on a pair of no supportive shoes and went to the treadmill.  I ran on  the treadmill in the store for about 30 seconds while the salesperson videotaped my ankles.  After looking at the tape, we saw my ankles did move in a little bit on impact with the treadmill.  So I would need the medium supportive shoe.  I ended up getting the Asics GT-2000 in size 9 in lime, white, and red.  This way people will be drawn to how fly my shoes look and not how slow I am running.  Additionally I got a pair of racing socks that wick away moisture from my feet and provide more arch support.  The socks are anatomically designed for the left and right foot respectively.  They are tight on your foot.  I will only be wearing those on race day.  Below are pictures of one of my shoes, racing socks, and future I sticker I will buy.


Asics GT-2000 Lime, White, and Red Running Shoes

Left Footed Racing Sock from above

Left Footed Racing Sock from below showing the arch support

13.1 Half Marathon Running - Black Oval Sticker
Sticker I am going to buy when I complete the half marathon (13.1 miles)



No comments:

Post a Comment