Thursday, June 5, 2014

Toastmasters Speech #3 and Meal of the Week

Toastmasters Speech #3
On Thursday, June 5th, I gave my 3rd speech as a member of Toastmasters at the USPTO.  I gave a 5-7 minute speech.  The focus of the speech was, "Get to the Point."  The goal of the speech was to deliver speech with a general purpose, specific purpose, and make sure the whole speech is focused on the purposes.  My speech was the US Income Tax System that included 3 concerns currently motivating major federal tax reform and Two Alternatives (Flat Tax and Fair Tax).  During my speech, I added another alternative, no tax.  The audience enjoyed that section.  Actually there was no income tax on American by the federal government until the 16th amendment was passed in 1913.  Before 1913, federal revenue was created by tariffs and excise taxes.  Overall the speech went well!  The evaluator and a few other members told me the speech was good.  There is still room for improvement.

Meal of the Week
The meal of the week this week was Machaca Beef Dip Sandwich.  This recipe came from a magazine article with crock pot recipes sent from my Grandma.  Boneless beef chuck roast was cooked in a sauce made with chopped onion, beef broth, beef gravy, chili peppers in adobo sauce, cumin, paprika, chili powder, and salt.  After the meat was tender, the meat was shredded and added back to the crock pot for the sauce to be incorporated fully and evenly in all of the beef.  It was a little spicy because I have to improvise on the seasoning, but overall it was a quality, filling meal.






No comments:

Post a Comment