Friday, November 9, 2012

9Nov12 Post

Information
Ryan went to MA for the week to work on a congressional campaign.  Jon is in WV helping someone at work with a land dispute.

This week I moved into my permanent office in the Technology Center (TC).  I am on the 5th floor of Remsen with design patent examiners.  My roommate is in a different art unit, but is still in the chemistry area.  He worked at UOP for about 7 years and then went to law school at Boston University.  Eventually he accepted a position at the USPTO as a Patent Examiner like myself.  My office still needs so decorating, but I have plenty of time to get around to it because I will be there awhile because I plan to be at this job for awhile and people don't change office often especially for people at my low grade level.

Also this week I attended the USPTO Toastmaster's International meeting.  It was interesting, it was nothing like I was expecting.  I actually had to speak to the group for 1-2 minutes based on a on the spot prompt.  I may join to group to practice my public speaking and have an opportunity for leadership opportunities.

DC Travels
Library of Congress
The Library of Congress was fun and has a story all of its own, but I was a bit underwhelmed.  It may be because I was not allowed to take any pictures of the main reading area and the Gutenberg Bible, I did not take a tour, the lack of things to see, or the limited area of access available to me because I did not have a reservation to go into the library itself.

Supreme Court
This is a beautiful building, but it was covered up by scaffolding from the restoration of the marble.  There was a very informative video about the building and the Supreme Court in general  which runs for about 30 minutes every 15 minutes in different theaters.  The building/museum has a very good flow, neat look, and gives a comprehensive look into the history of the court.  I was not able to attend an oral argument or enter the actual room of the court because I came in the afternoon (oral arguments are in the morning) and I came at inopportune time for the next session to enter the room of the court.

Library of Congress

Library of Congress

Inside Roof of the Library of Congress

Supreme Court

Supreme Court's Courtroom

Zoomed In View of the Supreme Court's Courtroom

Great Hall Leading to the Supreme Court


Slow Cooker Meal of the Week
Chili

Family Chili Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment