Friday, November 30, 2012

I am not in Iowa anymore

"I knew better," was what I was saying to myself on my bike ride home.  Today I went to Georgetown Law School for an informational session and student led tour of the law school campus.  I decided to take my bike to metro because I would bike to work after I returned to Alexandria.  About a month ago I purchased a nice, 300 lumen bike light.  It was the best.  I could bike in complete darkness with this light and have no problems seeing the potholes on the street.  The light is detachable from the bike.  So I usually I take the light off the bike when I leave it unattended for any period of time.  However lately I have become more laxed in this practice.  I was not taking the light off of the bike every time because I would lock by itself in front of a big window of the grocery store or in front of Best Buy.

So when I was biking home from work in the evening, I went to turn on my light, but it was not there.  I told myself the rest of the way home "I knew better not to leave the light on the bike."  Whoever took it even took the connector between the bike and the light, which was screwed tightly to the bike frame.  Obviously this was prepared for what he set out to do.  So the moral of the story is I am not in Iowa anymore, there is crime in DC even in Alexandria and need to more aware to not to make the same or similar mistake again.

The visit to Georgetown Law School was a good experience for me.  The Dean of Admission came talked to the group about common questions he receives from applicants including the characteristics of a quality personal statement, how Georgetown decides to admit applicants rolling admissions, and early decision.  He gave a good analogy for how people are admitted to Georgetown Law School. The decision is divided up into thirds, which are undergraduate GPA, LSAT, and soft stuff (personal statement, letters of recommendation, activities, and work experience).  He said the undergraduate GPA and LSAT set the bar as to how good your soft stuff needs to be in order to gain acceptance.  The higher the GPA and the LSAT, the lower the bar for your soft stuff to get over.  Then after he left us, an Assistant Dean of Admissions talked to us and we were able ask questions.  Afterwards I went on a campus tour led by a student.  The campus is like a mini campus.  There is 1 cafeteria, 1 dorm, 1 bookstore, a fitness center with a weight room and swimming pool, law library, and 1 large hall where most of the classes are held.

Tomorrow is my first day in the Food Pantry at Christ's House.  I am excited to work!

David Kappos announced he is stepping down from his position as the Director of the USPTO in January after serving for 4 years.  I wonder what his next position will be?

The USPTO put up its Christmas Tree the week after Thanksgiving in the main building of the USPTO.

Christmas Tree in Madison Building Atrium

No comments:

Post a Comment