Saturday, November 17, 2012

Another Week in the Neighborhood

George Washington Masonic Temple
This week I went to the George Washington Masonic Temple in my town of Alexandria.  It is only about a 10 minute walk from my townhouse.  The temple towers above everything else south of DC.  The tower is tall and it is built on top of one of the tallest hills in Alexandria.  Where ever you are south of DC in the VA section of the DC metro area, you can always look for the temple and get your sense of direction.  I use it when I am on the bike trails to know how far I am away from home.

There are many interesting things to see in this building.  There are statues, paintings, replica lodge rooms, museum type rooms for George Washington and Masons in general, and actual present day lodge rooms.  In my opinion, one of the more interesting items were the hairs of George Washington on display.  There is so little hair that I was unable to get a clear picture of them with my camera.   If you want to get to the top of the temple and see the George Washington museum type room in the tower, you need to buy a pass for the guided tour.  If you are ever in Alexandria, VA, I highly recommend stopping at the temple.

The Temple

Figure in Masonic Garb

Bible Signed by George Washington

George Washington Museum in the Masonic Temple

Patent Office from the top of the Temple

My Townhouse from the top of Temple


Old Town Alexandria and King Street from the top of the Temple

Looking in the direction of DC

George Washington Statue

George Washington's Chair He brought to His Lodge from Mt. Vernon


Cooking of the Week
Chicken breast with cream of chicken soup and milk topped with chicken stuffing.  It tasted much better than it looks on the plate or crock pot.


Fall

No comments:

Post a Comment