Saturday, January 19, 2013

The Hobbit, Snow?, Day of Service, and Meal of the Week

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
On Sunday January 13th, I went to the Potomac Yard Theater to see "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" with a small group Bible Study group from Bethany Lutheran Church.  Soon I will be an official member of Bethany Lutheran Church.  I was able use one of the movie passes I bought at work to gain admittance.  The  previews at this movie theater are very long, but there were some movies that interested me including Oblivion with Tom Cruise.  The movie ran for a little under 3 hours.  Overall, I thought it was a good movie!

SNOW?
Three to five inches of snow were supposed to accumulate on Thursday (17Jan13), but it did not happen.  There was only rain because the temperature was not low enough.

Volunteer on Day of Service
On Saturday, I volunteered at the Christ's House Food Pantry.  No, I did not do it because Saturday was the Day of Service.  I did it because I wanted to volunteer to help others.  In Mathew 25:35-40, it is written:


35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

There also many other Bible verses that talk about giving of yourself to help others in need.

The volunteers and I filled boxes with 40 lbs of food, made bags to hand out to homeless people with enough food for 1 day, and organized and restocked shelves.  Also someone tried to vacuum the pantry, but there was no bag attached to the vacuum.  So instead of vacuuming all of the dust, he just put all of the dust on the ground into the air. Haha.

Below is a map of the Arlington Diocese showing how food is distributed by Christ House on Wheels.  The green cylinder is the food pantry where I volunteer.  It is the central hub of the entire operation.  The food I put in the boxes is distributed to parishes and food pantries in every county in the diocese except for 2.



Meal of the Week
The meal of the week this week was Machaca Beef Dip Sandwich.  This recipe did not come from my usual recipe book of "101 More Things to Cook in a Crock Pot".  It came from a magazine article with crock pot recipes sent from my Grandma.  Boneless beef chuck roast was cooked in a sauce made with chopped onion, beef broth, beef gravy, chili peppers in adobo sauce, cumin, paprika, chili powder, and salt.  After the meat was tender, the meat was shredded and added back to the crock pot for the sauce to be incorporated fully and evenly in all of the beef.  It was a little spicy because I have to improvise on the seasoning, but overall it was a quality, filling meal.  When I come home, I may to cook a meal for my Mom to show her what I can do in the kitchen!







No comments:

Post a Comment